St. Patrick’s Day is coming and I’ve got a few literacy activities to share with you! As always, it’s nice to tap into holidays/events to get kiddos excited about learning. These three activities are easy to implement with little preparation!
St. Patrick's Day Vowels Freebie
Many primary students are still working on mastering vowel sounds at this time of year. Using this St. Patrick’s Day activity will help students practice vowel sounds in an engaging way.
Students will use letter tiles, or printed letters, to fill in the missing vowel sound for each image/word. I encourage you to make students state the vowel sound each time to get extra practice with each vowel.
You can grab this freebie here!
St. Patrick's Day Word work
This St. Patrick’s Day literacy activity is a quick one to pull together.
- Cut out some shamrocks (or have the students do it).
- Write two words that make up a contraction on one side. Students can then write the contraction on the other side, when they flip it over. OR, students can do both of these steps.
This can also work well with any other kinds of words your students are working on. It works well for rhyming words, synonyms or antonyms, and much more!
Word Work Activity
- Students write words they are working on (high frequency words, spelling words, phonics patterns, etc.). They can write them all over the page.
- Students color the page.
- Use mini erasers (didn’t have shamrocks, but rainbows are just as fun!) to cover up the words as you say each one. This could be done in small groups, with partners, or 1:1.
- Send the page home for repeated practice!
Themed Digital Reading Passages
Kids love reading about holidays and events! Here’s a way to give them a chance to read about St. Patrick’s Day, themselves.
These passages are perfect for early readers. The simple text enables them to feel confident as they read.
This mini pack includes:
- 10 St. Patrick’s Day themed passages
- comprehension questions with movable pieces
- word work activities
- animated gif to celebrate the reader
You can grab this St. Patrick’s Day pack here!
Or, if you want one for multiple holidays, check out the bundle here!