Oh my, am I ever happy it is Friday! I’m not sure what’s happening by you, but I feel like for at least half this week my little friends seem to have forgotten a whole lot of things…like how to listen! But next week will be a fresh new week again…take a look at what we were up to this week. 🙂
1. I think the weather may have something to do with my little friends being a little nutty…we are back to the deep cold here in Chicagoland and it’s not looking like it’s going to be warming up anytime soon…come on spring!
2. Well even if it doesn’t feel like spring, tomorrow is officially March 1st, which means I am cracking out some of my spring books anyway. Excited to start thinking “spring” through our bookshelf!
3. We’ve been busy practicing long vowel words in our classroom and one way we’ve been reviewing a whole lot is through long vowel word families. Our Word Family Journals have been a huge help in helping me identify quickly who is understanding silent e words. This is a great weekly activity to get my little friends to apply their knowledge of long vowel sounds within words that all fit in the same word family!
They especially love the chance to color in the little crayons at the end after we’ve written all our words- I choose a word they wrote and they color the crayon next to that word.
My little friends also love our word family long vowel centers- how cute are these little barns that we use to read and sort words by word family?
They also did a super job reading long vowel words and matching them up with the right pictures.
4. Here’s a long vowel word family freebie for you all! I did this with short vowels too (you can grab that version here) and had to create a long vowel version as well since my little friends enjoy it! Basically, they read each word on each sidewalk to help the kid get to their friend’s house. The goal is to get them reading the words fluently and not sounding out the entire word each time! You can download your own copy here!
5. Last, but certainly not least, we have been BUSY working on Close Reading in our room! I keep telling Amanda just how much I love doing these lessons with my little friends- they continue to impress me with their ability to comprehend our passages AND their willingness to listen to the stories for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd read! It’s awesome! Here’s a peek at our Ocean Animals edition of close reading:
Ok…and since i’m still rambling about my week, how about a Pin it to Win it to finish off this month of February!? Choose a pic from the Close Reading part of this post, pin it and then comment below with your pin and email. I’ll choose a winner Sunday night who can also enjoy this pack with your little friends!
This comment has been removed by the author.
First off, thank you for the freebie! I pinned your close reading passages here: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/247275835764860099/ This is something I would love to use in my reading groups (we rotate for reading with the other 2 classes based on ability level).
Thanks for the great freebie!!!! http://www.pinterest.com/pin/418834834067833107/
I would love to win your close reading package. It looks like fun!
I pinned it at http://www.pinterest.com/pin/119767671314579344/
My email address is email@example.com
I have been using your winter edition to introduce close reading. This pack looks like fun!
I would love to win this… looks like such a great unit!
Thank you for the Walking With Word Families game. It will be perfect for my students who do not yet read cve words automatically. Will be laminating it today and using it next week.
I love you blog and getting to peek into your classroom- always inspiring!
I would love to try one of your Close Reading Passages sets-
Thank you for a great series. I love the Close Reading Passages: Ocean Animals Edition:
Your Ocean Close Reading Passages look great!
Here's my Pin –
Thanks! Pinned here: http://www.pinterest.com/mrsmayer123/close-reading/ firstname.lastname@example.org
I pinned your packet here http://www.pinterest.com/pin/442126888390573522/ Looks great!
tokyoshoes at hotmail dot com
Oh my! I so agree with you on how this week went with the little ones. They just seemed to have a difficult time listening and staying on task. For us, it may have been all the weather changes that were coming. Thank you for your great freebies!! Can't wait to get a good look at them. Your students are doing a wonderful job with their close reading activities!!
Conversations in Literacy
Sorry, I totally forgot to leave the pin and email: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/278801033156424066/
Yes! These five day weeks are not easy to get used to after all the time off! Thanks for offering a chance to win this awesome packet! Ana
oops … here's my pin:
ana mumaw / first@forest